Prev: GZG Players Club now online!!! Next: RE: Printed works, period kinda long

Traveller scales and sensor rules

From: Jeff Lyon <jefflyon@m...>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 20:10:19 -0500
Subject: Traveller scales and sensor rules

I was just looking through some old Traveller rulebooks and reading up
on
their scales and sensor rules.	I thought I would share them for
discussion:

1977 edition - Book 2/Starships

1" = 1000 miles
1 turn = ten minutes
1 G acceleration for one turn = 2"
Earth = 8" diameter planet
Distance from Earth to Moon = 250"
Minimum safe jump distance = 100 planetary diameters
Detection ranges:
Civilian ships = 500"
Military vessels and scouts = 2000"
Ships running silent cannot be detected at > 100"
Ships running silent and in orbit cannot be detected at > 10"

1983 edition - Charts and Tables

1 range band = 10,000 kilometers
1 turn = 1000 seconds
1 G acceleration for one turn = 1 range band
Minimum safe jump distance = 100 planetary diameters
Detection ranges:
Civilian ships = 15 range bands (one-half light second)
Military vessels and scouts = 60 range bands (2 light seconds)
Ships running silent cannot be detected at greater than half the usual
range.	Ships running silent and in orbit cannot be detected at greater
than one-eighth the usual range.  Once detected, a vessel can be tracked
up
to 90 range bands (3 light seconds)

Prev: GZG Players Club now online!!! Next: RE: Printed works, period kinda long