Prev: Stargrunt 2 Morale Questions and Comments Next: Re: Space tactics

Re: Space tactics

From: laserlight <laserlight@m...>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 19:59:46 -0400
Subject: Re: Space tactics

Let me preface my defense of Mikko by saying that I think we (the
listers)
mostly agree that High Speed Attack Passes don't make for an interesting
game, and should therefore be discouraged.  Our difficulty lies in how
effect that.  One batch appears to believe that simply defining it as
foolish should suffice.  The other batch appears to believe that there
should be one or more practical reasons why it should be foolish.

The Beast muttered:

> Predictability of where a fixed (or stable orbit or whatever) is NOT
the
> question. End of turn position outside the grain of game scale IS.

The game is supposed to reflect "reality".  There is not game scale
grain
in reality.

> Page 3 of FTII: 'If you have a huge area, then you can expand the
units
> accordingly...' Not a requirement, but seems to define the spirit of
the
> game.

To take your own line of thought right back at you, "can" not "must".
I'm
hereby defining my gameboard to include the 1000 meters (realworld)
nearest
my house in all directions.  For convenience's sake, we'll redefine the
position of the edges as needed instead of going into the yard and
dealing
with the mosquito swarm.  Happy now?

> Page 28: The 'moving table' is described as effecting ships/fleets in
> contact.

Define "contact".  If I'm attacking you next turn, I'm in contact, no
matter how far away I am.  No?	How about if I buy a dreadnought and
mount
a class 25 beam on it?	Legal and waaaay out of your range, but if I can
hit your planet and/or orbital facilities....If you disagree with that,
how
about if I have MT missiles and you have Class 1 beams?

> Knock yourself out, but quit complaining when others do the exact same
> thing in what they call an understandable extrapolation of the game,
> please.
It wasn't complaining; it was in response to something that was *not* an
understandable extrapolation (ie, the circular logic of, "it won't work
because
it won't work"); and anyway, quit complaining when others do the exact
same
thing in what they call an understandable extrapolation of the game,
please....     ; )

What bothers me is that if a starting speed of, say, 12 MU is
reasonable,
then why not 13?  Okay, how about 14?  Etc up to 200, 300, etc...where
do
you draw the boundary and why?

Prev: Stargrunt 2 Morale Questions and Comments Next: Re: Space tactics