Prev: Re: Space tactics Next: SJ Orges in DSII

Re: Space tactics

From: Doug_Evans/CSN/UNEBR@U...
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 11:34:23 -0500
Subject: Re: Space tactics

Again, you miss my point, Maxxon, though understandably. I keep noticing
you saying this or that isn't in the rules, then talk about manuever
'off
the board'. I've been looking and looking, and STILL can't find that in
the
rules. You consider that an understandable extrapolation; I say, by
claiming your 'precalculation' you are playing the rules and not the
game,
though not even playing the rules, as you are taking the rules outside
the
game envelope.

You are not SPENDING one turn in the engagement area; you are ENDING one
turn there. All the games I've seen described has a fleet ships STARTING
on
the edge of the area. Reinforcements not excluded.

Predictability of where a fixed (or stable orbit or whatever) is NOT the
question. End of turn position outside the grain of game scale IS.

Page 3 of FTII: 'If you have a huge area, then you can expand the units
accordingly...' Not a requirement, but seems to define the spirit of the
game.

Page 28: The 'moving table' is described as effecting ships/fleets in
contact.

Knock yourself out, but quit complaining when others do the exact same
thing in what they call an understandable extrapolation of the game,
please.

The_Beast

maxxon@swob.dna.fi on 08/19/98 02:45:38 AM

Please respond to FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk

To:   FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
cc:    (bcc: Doug Evans/CSN/UNEBR)

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998 Doug_Evans/CSN/UNEBR@UNebMail.UNeb.EDU wrote:

> I suppose I'm just incredibly dense. The predicability of the location
of
> the planet/station/target seems to me to have nothing to do with the
> situation. Given the rules we're playing, if a ship is moving a
distance
> larger than the size of the table on which we're playing, his
endpoints
of
> movement are statistically outside the engagement area, he's missed
his
> opportunities of fire, he's failed in his attacks on my defense point.
I've
> won.

No, predictability is exactly the key issue here. That allows you to
precalculate your attack run so that you spend ONE, and *exactly*one*
turn
in the "engagement area" before zooming off to the sunset.

The defender is more hardpressed. To intercept he must not only cross
your
path, but actually *end* his movement for the turn within firing range
(which I chose to ignore in the previous analysis).

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Space tactics Next: SJ Orges in DSII