Prev: Re: Space tactics Next: RCPT: GZG Online Catalogue COMPETITION

Re: Space tactics

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:48:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Space tactics

Without sarcasm, I say to those who think a quick strike is hard or
impossible to stop - your own velocity is the weapon I use to kill
you. At the speed you'd be travelling, just as it gives the defending
ships at the planet little time to act, it gives your moving ships
scant time to react. Lets say you're moving 280" with thrust 8, I
just mine (using hard to detect mines) your path. You can't change it
that much because of how feeble your thrust is wrt your velocity
vector. So you barrell through my minefield. It could even just be
space garbage at that speed - it'd punch right through your hull. But
it wouldn't be, it'd be bomb pumped lasers or whatever mines are
these days. Your ships chance to dodge would be negigible since your
speed would exceed most projections of sensor ranges I've seen so
far, so you wouldn't even see the mines coming in time to dodge. I
don't have to 'intercept you' and catch up with you, I just have to
know where you are headed and mine the space around the planet. Then
your own velocity kills you. And if you slow down, then my pickets
gang up and attack you.

As for how do I know where you are? I put sensor platforms on some
likely approach routes and they might give me a warning. If not, my
minefield is set to go off when anything without the right IFF comes
through it. So you zip in, and boom.

I'm not saying the ultra high-vee attack isn't practicable but
1. You'd need sensors that exceed your speed by an order of 2 to 10
times - otherwise you'd be foolishly risking your ships by such
velocity - and that would give warning of your arrival.
2. You'd need to be capable of sweeping or avoiding mines, which
suggests a slower approach or at least a sacrificial wave of ships to
take the hit, far outvaluing the minefields value.

Plus the political consideration that if you do it to them.... they
do it to your worlds too. Most governments have the sanity to realize
what this means.

I don't think this attack is the 'be all and end all' in space
combat,and I think kamikazee captains whose speeds exceed their
ability to manoevre or their sensor ranges would get yanked by an
Admiralty board so fast it would make your head spin. This isn't
chess with little plastic pieces that have no lives - this is
manoevres with million ton battlecruisers with hundreds of crew each
of whom is expensive to recruit and train. Things one could do in the
game world (if you treat it as a game) are things that may well be
eschewed by more realistic players who realize the implications.

Tom.

Prev: Re: Space tactics Next: RCPT: GZG Online Catalogue COMPETITION