Prev: GZG Westcon Next: Re: Salvo Missiles (was UN Ship Nomenklatura)

RE: Salvo Missiles (was UN Ship Nomenklatura)

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 23:29:35 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: RE: Salvo Missiles (was UN Ship Nomenklatura)

Various people wrote (condensed):

"SMLs are Jokes"
"SMLs are overpowered"

Obviously they can't be both at the same time.	To adress the first
item.  SMLs are incredibly useful if you use them right.  First, don't
make them your only armament, or usually even your primary armament.
The FSE ships seem too specialized for my tastes.  I usually mix and
match, no more than half my cruisers and capitals being missle-heavy
designs.  Second, remember my Fleet Design Philosophy post?  SMLs
belong in the main battle fleet.  IOW, you're not going to fight except
in a target-rich environment.  6,000 points makes a large enough fleet
that you are going to hit something if your opponent forms any sort of
coherent battleline.  If missles show up in small fights, it won't be a
whole lot of 'em, and they are best used more for surprise value than
anything else.	Third, don't expect them to finish off a particular
ship in a single salvo.  SMLs weaken ships, perhaps forcing a systems
check before the firing phase.	Your beams and torpedos have to finish
the job.

Second complaint:  Dammit, learn to counter them.  Fighter screens and
proper PDSs are a good first step.  You also have to know your opponent
a bit.	I prefer to have a standardized stable of designs--you've all
seen my webpage, right?  The only ship I've designed with the intent to
use that's not up there is a commerce raider DD refit.	Which doesn't
belong in Jane's.  If he uses SMLs, then the first turn you come into
range, jink like CRAZY!  3" is damned easy to evade if you really put
your mind into it.  If you fly in a straight line at a constant
acceleration, my pet dog can put ten SLM salvos on your DNL.  Oops.
ESCORT CRUISERS!!  Escort cruisers are glorious.  Last game I played
against a fighter-and-missle heavy opponent was a 6K main fleet bash
where my DNL/CV/DN group had two escort medium cruisers and two escort
light cruisers.  Sucked up a LOT of missles and fighters both.	Even my
humble 700 point DD squadron has an escort destroyer.

SMLs, in my experience can be a useful addition to a fleet's arsenal.
But I can, by proper usage of the vector movement system and escorts,
beat them too.	Not a gamebreaking unbalancer.	IMHO, Jon got it about
right.	Option:  If your group just can't figure out how to use 'em
right, then up the kill zone to 6".  If your group can't figure out how
to counter 'em, drop it to 3".	I usually play with 3" for vector, 6"
for cinematic.	Final Note:  You do know, it helps if you don't roll
ones.  That sucks.  But then again, 1 point of damage is better than
firing 15 dice worth of beams and missing with all of 'em, which I've
seen.

John

Prev: GZG Westcon Next: Re: Salvo Missiles (was UN Ship Nomenklatura)