Prev: Re: FT: Pushing past Thrust limits Next: Re: GenCon 98 FT Tournament Fleets

Re: FT Munchkins (Re: Mars #2 FT article)

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 01:23:05 GMT
Subject: Re: FT Munchkins (Re: Mars #2 FT article)

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998 09:24:40 -0500 (CDT), jatkins6@ix.netcom.com (John
Atkinson) wrote:

>Ultra-Uberdreadnaughts of DOOM! are easily dealt with under the old
>rules with swarmships firing MT Missles

That's what I've found. One little discussed advantage of a fleet of
tiny
ships is you get a lot of wasted damage. As an example, a small escort
might
only take 8 points of damage. Two pulse torps, on average, won't take it
out.
Three, on average, will result in over damage. Against a big target,
though,
all the torps' damage, except for maybe the one that puts it out of its
misery, count.

I haven't done the math, but it wouldn't surprise me if a fleet of small
ships
gets maybe 10% to 20% additional hull points simply from the "over
damage
effect". Add to this FT2's threshold rules that mean escorts only have
worry about one threshold check, and you've got a big advantage.

Of course, you need a stink of a lot of models for large fleet
battles... :-)

Allan Goodall	       agoodall@sympatico.ca

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Prev: Re: FT: Pushing past Thrust limits Next: Re: GenCon 98 FT Tournament Fleets