Prev: GZG DSII WAM - What are they? Next: Re: GenCon Review with a GZG Emphasis (part 3 of 4)

FT Munchkins (Re: Mars #2 FT article)

From: "Mark A. Siefert." <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 23:24:28 -0600
Subject: FT Munchkins (Re: Mars #2 FT article)

Jeff Lyon wrote:

> At 06:02 PM 8/12/98 +0300, you wrote:
> >Btw: I recently had time to read through all the MARS magzines I
have.
> >This is probably old news for most of you, but there was an
absolutely
> >fabulous article on FT in MARS#2, I recall, nicely illustrating the
> >mindset of some gamers. The guy had even built a weapon system around
the
> >FTL-out-near-other-ships bug...
>
> Yeah, I particularly liked his

"this-is-the-way-I-build-ships-'cause-they-win-and-if-you-don't-too-you'
re-s
> tupid" attitude and his patronizing (and wrong) analysis of naval
military
> history and design.

	Try telling that to the people I'm forced to game with.  This is
the
same bunch that produced a 80 MASS Kra'Vak ship entirely armed (all 40
MASS) with scatterpacks.  They would share the opinion of the Mars
article's author.   To them, people like us are stoggey historical
gamers that want to play a (these are their words) "a WWII navel game in
space."  A concept that they find "too british."  Obviously, all good
Americans are supposed to play Full Thrust with the ultra-uber
Dreadnaughts of DOOM! that compose my playgroup's fleets.  I've seen a
few other people play FT at my game store... but they're ship designs
are no better.
	Now you might ask, "But Mark, why not just find another group to
game
with."	I've tried that.  The only other local person who shares our
vision of FT is Stuart Ford.  Although its great to game with him, I
want to get a large number of people together who aren't a bunch of
munchkins.  I've tried running FT demos at other game stores; no one
comes to them.	I've tried posting my intentions for a new FT group on
rec.games.miniatures.misc; no one replies.  My ex-girlfriend used to
play FT; that is, before she became my EX-girlfriend.  It looks like its
just me and Stuart, who are only reasonable FT gamers in cheeseland
--
Later,
Mark A. Siefert

	The foundation of collectivism is simple: There should be no
important
economic differences among people. No one should be too rich. No one
should be
too poor. We should "close the wealth gap."  This is a very powerful
idea.
This is a very common idea.  This is a very bad idea.

				     --P.J. O'Rourke
				       From his speech "Closing the
Wealth Gap"
				       Shanghai, China.  1997

cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu		 http://www.uwm.edu/~cthulhu/index.html
====

Prev: GZG DSII WAM - What are they? Next: Re: GenCon Review with a GZG Emphasis (part 3 of 4)