Prev: Re: TO&E for the major forces Next: GZG DSII WAM - What are they?

Re: FT Munchkins (Re: Mars #2 FT article)

From: Charles Gray <cgray@j...>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 21:51:50 -0700
Subject: Re: FT Munchkins (Re: Mars #2 FT article)

Mark A. Siefert. wrote:

> Jeff Lyon wrote:
> >
> > At 06:02 PM 8/12/98 +0300, you wrote:
> > >Btw: I recently had time to read through all the MARS magzines I
have.
> > >This is probably old news for most of you, but there was an
absolutely
> > >fabulous article on FT in MARS#2, I recall, nicely illustrating the
> > >mindset of some gamers. The guy had even built a weapon system
around the
> > >FTL-out-near-other-ships bug...
> >
> > Yeah, I particularly liked his

"this-is-the-way-I-build-ships-'cause-they-win-and-if-you-don't-too-you'
re-s
> > tupid" attitude and his patronizing (and wrong) analysis of naval
military
> > history and design.
>
>	  Try telling that to the people I'm forced to game with.  This
is the
> same bunch that produced a 80 MASS Kra'Vak ship entirely armed (all 40
> MASS) with scatterpacks.  They would share the opinion of the Mars
> article's author.   To them, people like us are stoggey historical
> gamers that want to play a (these are their words) "a WWII navel game
in
> space."  A concept that they find "too british."  Obviously, all good
> Americans are supposed to play Full Thrust with the ultra-uber
> Dreadnaughts of DOOM! that compose my playgroup's fleets.  I've seen a
> few other people play FT at my game store... but they're ship designs
> are no better.
>	  Now you might ask, "But Mark, why not just find another group
to game
> with."  I've tried that.  The only other local person who shares our
> vision of FT is Stuart Ford.	Although its great to game with him, I
> want to get a large number of people together who aren't a bunch of
> munchkins.  I've tried running FT demos at other game stores; no one
> comes to them.  I've tried posting my intentions for a new FT group on
> rec.games.miniatures.misc; no one replies.  My ex-girlfriend used to
> play FT; that is, before she became my EX-girlfriend.  It looks like
its
> just me and Stuart, who are only reasonable FT gamers in cheeseland
> --
> Later,
> Mark A. Siefert
	You know, that's why I like some form of strategic/tactical
mixture.
In those games, the people with the all BB fleet soon find out that
without screening ships, I'm killing their superships with fighters and
PT's that can be replaced in a fraction of the time, as well as raiding
their convoy's.
	And that leads to another pet Peeve of mine.  I can only thing
of a few
"to the last man" engagements, yet in Full Thrust, I've run into players
who think nothing of fighting to the end, even expending damaged
battleships to hurt you a little more... IMHO, strategic considerations
make that harder to do.  Unfortunately, most strategic systems also have
a nasty tendancy to bog down in bookkeeping.

Prev: Re: TO&E for the major forces Next: GZG DSII WAM - What are they?