Prev: FT: Pushing past Thrust limits Next: Nic

FT: Pushing past Thrust limits

From: laserlight <laserlight@m...>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 22:28:52 -0400
Subject: FT: Pushing past Thrust limits

> >BTW it looks like you can have a max thrust of 11 under vector rules.

> >"How?" you ask.  Thrust 8, burn 1 of your extra 4 maneuver points to
> rotate >90 degrees, then push port (or starboard) with the remaining 3

> maneuver >points.  Or execute the same steps in reverse order.  It's
> not logical (the >8 Thrust should occupy the entire length of the
turn,
> so you don't have >extra time to push in the same direction) but it
is,
> insofar as I can tell >and until the amendment I feel sure Jon will
add
> about 30 seconds after >reading this, legal.

John replied:
> Actually, I caught onto the flip-turn the second time I played with
> vector.  It's a neat trick.  IMHO, doesn't require a rule because it
> can't happen more than once per pass.  Only useful when changing
> directions 180 degrees.

Not so.  Any time you want to increase speed and aren't worried about
facing.  Eg, start facing 12, thrust 8, rotate to facing 3, push 3.
Your
actual vector change is 11.  Next turn, push first, then rotate, then
thrust.  Your combined delta vee is 22, not the 16 I feel sure the rules
intended.

Prev: FT: Pushing past Thrust limits Next: Nic