Prev: Re: Other Forces Next: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

Re: UN Ship Nomenclature

From: laserlight <laserlight@m...>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 19:51:51 -0400
Subject: Re: UN Ship Nomenclature

Thomas Barclay replied to John A:

>  Without outside support revolutions don't suceed (except
> > Eritrea, which is a hell of an exception to a lot of rules).
>
> What about the American Revolution
French support was invaluable; the Americans won because the British had
other situations to deal with.

> the Communist Revolution in
> China
Didn't really get going until the Japanese invasion made it possible for
the Chicoms to get support from the populace ("to fight the foreign
invader") without getting caught by the legitimate government.

> the Russian Revolution
WW I weakened the legitimate government, IIRC.

> Except that weren't you pals with the French at that time? Do you
> think embassies in the history of the world have never been attacked
> by regular forces? I think in that you'd be mistaken, although I'll
> admit I could be wrong.

I can't think of any examples.	If you can, quote 'em.

> And right now the US has trouble carrying out 'reprisals' against
> people who commit terrorist acts against it.

That is a political incapacity, not a military one, as you noted.

Prev: Re: Other Forces Next: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature