Prev: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature Next: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 10:35:37 -0500
Subject: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

John spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> You wrote:
>
> >....I didn't catch the full piece in the news but I understand the US

> >Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya has been bombed this week by a splinter
> >muslim group never before heard of. I guess there are quite a few
> >dead. I don't know if any serving soldiers were amongst the losses,
> >but in any case I'm sure some civilians were killed.
>
> Speculation is that it's the Egyptian branch of the Islamic Jihad
> taking credit under a false name.  And there was also an attack on the

> US Embassy in Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania, only five minutes prior to
the
> Nairobi explosion.  Anyway, the embassies are located in the downtown
> areas of capital cities.  The bombs injured 4,800+ people, with a
> confirmed death count of 209--most injuries were walking wounded.
> "Only" 12 Americans were killed, which gives you an idea how many
> locals going about their morning business were waxed or hurt.  In fact

> many of the Nairobi casualties were in the Ufundi Cooperative
> Buildings, a four-story structure next door to the Embassy.  Living
> near DC, this is front page news still--a lot of the US diplomatic
> staffs have this area as their home of record, and many leave their
> families here when they go.
>
> >other diplomats. Scenes like this will arise scenarios like rescuing
> >an overrun embassy, protecting rescue workers, capturing thosre
>
> There's a hypothical Steel Panthers III scenario with a company each
of
> Belgians, French Paras, and US Marines protecting three buildings
> (their respective embassies) spread out among an entire city and under

> attack by much larger forces.  I admit the only reason I won was
> because the computor was stupid enough to bunch one of his attack
> forces up in the street in a single hex.  Harriers dropping a
> half-dozen bombs will clean up anyone stupid enough to do that.
>
> >responsible, etc. Which, although not classic nation A vs. nation B.
> >stuff could make great SG2 material.
>
> Yeah, I can see an embassy attack.  A few high-quality light infantry,

> perhaps off-shore (orbital?) air support, some State Department
> security personell (those would be modelled by a figure in a suit with

> a firearm and possibly a helmet, probably green), and a lot of
> families, diplomats, staff members, janitors, etc hiding in the center

> of the building.  Attackers would be anything from rioting civillians
> to terrorists, insurgent, or even someone's regular military, probably

> after mutinying (sp?) and joining the Revolution, which drops the
> leadership to three since they shot all the officers and sergeants and

> are running things as a democracy.

Hmm. Might just be that the major power made an unpopular decision
(like not sending grain from Terra, or who knows what) and the locals
decided to capture their embassy in response - so they could be good
troops too. Then maybe the scenario is hold out for a few days
against a few waves of attacks until Ortillery or Jump Troops from
home come in to save the day and either re-align local power
structures or evac the mission.

> *Imagines the UN in a rules debate like some Napoleonics or WH40K
> players I know*
>
> Might be enough to finally provoke nuclear war.

Yeah, but then it would just be a harmless card game in which case
no-one would get killed (only fictional population cards).

Tom.

Prev: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature Next: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature