Prev: Re: Fleet Book Tugs Next: RE: SG2, Changes to initiating close assault rules

Re: DS2 Elegance

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 11:59:19 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: DS2 Elegance

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Al.Bri wrote:

> Ok, I'll put the two of them in the DSII FAQ, once I've confirmed that
it's
> reasonably accurate and I've given it a go over the weekend.

Using a 1d100 roll naturally does two things:
 a) Rounds possibilities to multiples of 1%
 b) Omits chit combinations less likely than 0.5%

Personally, I don't feel either is a very big loss, or likely to be
noticed in the heat of the action.

However, the full files contain *everything*, starting from full list of
chit pull distributions (which is the only thing you *really* need, the
rest just makes it easier), you need to recalculate the tables for any
precision. Basically, you just need to change the rounding point in the
result tables.

The APL code to generate chit pull distributions is not included, but I
could email it if someone really does understand APL (it's NOT like C or
any other procedural language).

Oh, one more thing: You'll notice that it's impossible to get SD:F on
the
infantry damage table. Well, I find it silly too, but that's what the
rules say -- NO special damage chit is valid against infantry.

Other noteworthy things: High powered DFFGs have essentially two results
-- either you fry your target or you fry your weapon. There's
practically
no middle ground. Class 5 weapons have an annoyingly high rate of
misfire,
which could be grounds for further analysis as to whether taking a
smaller
gun is actually beneficial in the long run.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Fleet Book Tugs Next: RE: SG2, Changes to initiating close assault rules