Prev: RE: Fighter/ Bombers for FT... Next: Re: The Party is cancelled.

Re: FT Campaign Aid

From: Niall Gilsenan <ngilsena@i...>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 20:01:13 +0100
Subject: Re: FT Campaign Aid

At 09:32 04/08/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Niall Gilsenan <ngilsena@indigo.ie> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>>If you have a copy of them the Starfire Campaign rules might be useful
for
>>coming up with a play aid.  We did use a spreadsheet for our Starfire
>>campaign a couple of years ago, mainly it focussed on orders, ship
design,
>>ship maintainance costs, message delays, fleet locations, construction
>>queues, technology and research costs.
>
>I play Imperial Starfire, and I DO have a FileMaker Pro campaign
template
>for it. However, I was thinking of starting out with something a little
>less grand-strategic for FT. My initial vision, which could then be
added
>to in time, is something that simply allows for a series of connected
>battles, or perhaps one front of a war.
>
>Schoon

I'd have to say that the concept of a single front or a sector level
campaign is rather more appealing than a full scale strategic game.  I'm
currently playing in a campaign game like this in the Renegade Legion
universe.  Every player is assigned a segment of the map to deal with
and
can call on reinforcements from other sectors if necessary.  Building
fleets and legions is not our concern, we simply have to make best use
of
them.

One thing that I've always found lacking in most campaign games is
politics.  While it might make no military sense to hold onto that
forlorn
colony world out in the boondocks, politically it may be vital (being
the
site of the Emperors wonderous victory over the squashy frogs of Zelon 9
many years ago!).

I had thought of a campaign game in the outer sectors of the FT universe
where your reinforcements were based on the political value of the
various
systems in a sector.  The colnies in these sectors would have been so
young
(relatively speaking) that the only value they represented at this point
would be in terms of propaganda.

These points could be traded at the end of the turn for a roll on the
reinforcement table.  The more points you used (as positive modifiers)
for
your roll the better your chance of receiving significant
reinforcements.

Certainly the random nature of the reinforcements is more appealing than
what happened in our last FT campaign game.  One player built a few
superships and trounced another player with them.  The trouncee then
promptly declared the game over.  Fortunes of war?
Niall Gilsenan,
DIT Cathal Brugha St,
Dublin 1,
Ireland.
The miscellany (Sci-Fi combat games)
http://members.tripod.com/~Cwintel/Scifi.html

Prev: RE: Fighter/ Bombers for FT... Next: Re: The Party is cancelled.