Prev: Re: Fighter/ Bombers for FT... Next: RE: Fighter/ Bombers for FT...

Re: SG: Close Assault Combat and armour

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 12:55:39 -0500
Subject: Re: SG: Close Assault Combat and armour

Phillip spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> Hello,
>	In the current draft of StarGrunt powered armour infantry gain a
*2
> multiple for their armour.  This is partly to reflect the effects of
the
> hydro/pneumatic strenght enhancement the armour provides.  However, we
> should consider some other factors as well, particularly the benefits
of
> normal body armour.  We know that body armour does help in hand to
hand
> combat (those guys running around in full plate did it for a reason),
but
> in StarGrunt if we have a regular soldier in partial light armour (d6)
and
> another regular soldier in Full Light armour (d8) they both roll a D8
> (quality die) with no multiple.  Then the outcome of their fight is
> resolved by who rolled the higher die...

I'm tempted to point out that powered armour may get those benefits
for reasons you don't suspect - huge damage on their HTH due to the
strength, but also amazing targeting systems and incredibly fast
movement - they are hard to hit, since they sprint like the wind, and
they can cut you down real well with on board weapons. All this is
reflected in their bonuses.

Since close assault is shotguns, grenades, SMGs, autofire, bayonets,
karate, hitting people with entrenching tools or monomolecular
vibro-saws, it covers a lot of terrain. I'm thinking that the
difference between partial armour and light armour probably makes
little difference to an autoshotgun or grenade (due to the area of
the target), probably don't help much versus flamers, and in HTH may
well be insignificant (it might even be argued in FAVOR of the
lighter armoured opponent - he's faster and less encumbered and that
is in many ways these days more important than the armour). Any
serving grunty of today will tell you his body armour helps to
protect him from fragmentation and somewhat from concussion, but
won't do much against a sharp blade, an AP slug, and in most cases
without inserts, won't do much against standard rifle ammo. And it
won't help a lot versus flamers. But it protects agains the threats
it was meant to counter well. The trade off is 4-10 lbs, plus the
extra heat, plus a loss of some amount of manouvreability.

>	I have two possible solutions:
>	The first is that the combat multiple is based on the die type
for the
> armour.
>	Armour type		armour die		combat mutiple
>	None			D4			2/3
>	Partial 	D6			1
>	Partial Full	D8			4/3
>	Powered Lt		D10			5/3
>	Powered Hvy		D12			2

It's an interesting idea. But are we up to this 5/3rds kind of math?
(Okay, I'm one to talk...) Why not just a die modifier?

>	The second solution is to modify the "Am I dead yet?" roll that
takes
> place after close assault and give modifiers for body armour type.

This might be reasonable, although I think you'd have to consider
None, Partial/Full, Powered as your options. Powered gets some
benefit in the 'stand-back-up' roll as they have the medical thingies
built in. The argument against what you have suggested is HTH is
intense, close range, uses weapons armour does not defend well
against, and (from gaming end) it can be resolved quicker.

>	Personally, I think the first option is better.  I would
apreciate other's
> reactions and suggestions.

I'm interested to see replies to my comments too. I'm advancing the
'party line' here I think. I don't even know if I agree entirely with
it. It may be that someone more in the know than I will suggest that
armour is helpful in HTH/CA. I'd be more in favour of giving a
negative die shift to the troops with weaker armour and not then
having to do more math. This means it boils down to who has better
armour and the better armoured are harder to kill hence you get one
negative die shift (which can be compensated for by good Close
Assault Weapons). How's that for a counter offer?

Tom.

Prev: Re: Fighter/ Bombers for FT... Next: RE: Fighter/ Bombers for FT...