Prev: Re: RopeCon 98 Report Next: Stargrunt WWII conversion

Re: Stargrunt WWII conversion

From: "Tony Francis" <TONY@s...>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 17:02:09 +0000
Subject: Re: Stargrunt WWII conversion

> Has anyone done something like this? The reason I ask is that I have
at
> elast one company fo German and British Paras, and though I love
> skirmish level, controlling THAT many guys would take for ever, unless
> we go the Stargrunt route. I thought I remembered seeingthat someone
had
> done a WW2 conversion.
We haven't done a WWII conversion as such but we have played some
WWII games at my club (Maidstone, Kent).

The conversion is fairly simple - no armour, all troops have similar
weapons (bolt action rifles or SMGs). We gave belt-fed SAWs (German
MG34) a better die type than box-fed ones (Bren) - d10 against d8
IIRC. We gave them a further die type increase (to d12) if they had a
second crew member feeding the ammo - which then became the weapon
type for an HMG.

For our first games we just picked command and quality markers at
random from the pot. This meant that my BEF infantry platoon was
lucky enough to have two red squads :-) with class-2 and class-3
officers :-(. The German SS recce squad was given their only red
marker which, since they were quite a large squad, made them very
powerful. in future on we'll select the chits a bit better (ie we'll
give
the French most of the green and yellow ones).

The main game saw the Germans heavily repulsed by the BEF defenders.
The SS squad got isolated in the middle of a road, no cover and stuck
in a crossfire. They'd tried to close-assault a BEF squad but failed
their rolls (they were a red-2 squad, imagine how badly my opponent
threw to create this unfortunate situation). This moment turned the
battle once they'd been cut to pieces by an inspired set of BEF die
rolls.

Lots of fun - we'll probably do it again some time as an alternative
to our usual tank-heavy WWII blasts. Didn't use any vehicles,
although I'm sure we will. The only downside we found was that the
pace of the game was much slower. With six players but only one squad
active at a time it meant a lot of waiting around - unavoidable
because of the SG2 activation mechanism.

Tony Francis

Prev: Re: RopeCon 98 Report Next: Stargrunt WWII conversion