Prev: RE: 15mm figures. Next: Re: Canadian Convention

RE: SG2 Vehicle Questions

From: Kenneth Winland <kwinland@c...>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 13:43:16 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: RE: SG2 Vehicle Questions

	Howdy!

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Gary Kett wrote:

> Of course. However, it should be "threat" that dictates the movement
not a
> rule limitation. If some one wishes to zoom his vehicle across the
battle
> field he places it in risk of been hit by any anti tank weapon that
spots
> him. I am not advocating that people start throwing tanks all over the
game
> table. Tanks don't normally drive around by themselves, they are in
units.
> Unless you wish to fight tank units then they will not be there.
However,
> tanks are not the only vehicle in existence, and it is these I am
talking
> about. Support Vehicles, etc.

	True!  I think SGII emphasizes vehicles IN SUPPORT of infantry.
We've played a few games with a number (4+) of vehicles per side, but
always with a large number of troops.

> >Please do not try to justify things just because someone has military
> service. I have have a long service record in the Infantry (although
> reserve) and completing a masters in War Studies at the Royal Military
> College of Canada. Though these are nice and all, I do not consider
that
> they prove I am any more the athourity on warfare in 2185 or whatever
the
> future date, than the next guy playing this game. All this experince
is
> great and will add to discussions and may even help in upgrades to the
game,
> but it is not the word of God. There is always something we don't
know, or
> will be surprised at. If people are happy with the way the rules stand
than
> that's great. I am not writing this to stop them from playing the way
they
> like. I just want to see if there are any ideas on how to make the
game
> smooth the way I would like.

	Sure.  Although, I didn't know I was proselytizing... :)

	If people with military and combat (Desert Storm and Panama)
enjoy
SGII a GREAT deal, then that points to a good ruleset.	Not a *perfect*
ruleset, but a very good one.  I mentioned the experiences of some of
our
group to illustrate that the vehicle system was adequate in their view,
which I found interesting.  True, most of them are infantry, but one was
in armoured (light) recon and one drove a Leopard <g>.	Obviously, they
have little experience concerning warfare in 2185, but they do have a
good
deal of experience in the 'meat and potatoes' of SGII, i.e.
organization,
command, morale, logistics, intel, etc.

	Actually, I enjoy running SGII at conventions (GenCon,
DragonCon,
Pandemonium, Toronto Trek, etc.) because you get to run into gamers who
have had military experience.  It is interesting to hear their comments
and observations, and it is also a GREAT way to get scenario ideas...

	Ken

Prev: RE: 15mm figures. Next: Re: Canadian Convention