Prev: SF Figures Next: Re: 15mm figures. - and a Question of Composition

RE: New Fighter Types

From: "BEST, David" <dbest@s...>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 15:57:23 -0400
Subject: RE: New Fighter Types

According to JMS's The Official Guide to Babylon 5 CD the thunderbolts
are much faster and more manoeuvreable than Starfuries as well.
 However I don't fully trust everything they say since they have the
Omegas and Hyperions armed with Plasma Pulse Cannon instead of lasers
and give the Primus 4 Heavy Lasers and 2 Twin Particle Cannons (which
is what I believe B5 Wars gives them).	Both of those sources also say
the Primus's only weakness is the lack of fighter bays. It also says
the Hyperion has 6 fighters ( I reduce them to 1 fighter group but
give them jump engines).  Also according to the book Mr. Garibaldi's
Security Manual (or something like that) B5's 4 fighter wings
(squadrons) contain up to 15 fighters although I believe the original
B5 entertainment CD said 12.  One other little B5  ship tidbit is that
I watched again the episode where ISN is on the station during the
Narn-Centauri  war and a Primus and G'Quan go at it.  The G'Guan
actually fired it's lasers to the starboard side.  Based on the
location of the laser barrels though I would treat this as a mistake
and just have them fire forward.

David Best

> is it much better than a Starfury? It is larger, more expensive and
> atmosphere capable but it is the stramlining that makes it larger
and
> dearer, compromising it in the dogfighting role. So in space combat
it
> should function at best just like a Starfury.

It also carries a *much* heavier weapon (streams of plasma balls
rather
than one couple at a time, plus bomb/missile hardpoints) than the
Starfury, making it more likely to take tthings it shoots at out.

> I wonder how difficult it would be to add a longer nose to the UNSC
Star
> Tiger fighter?

Not that hard to do with a pin vice, some fine wire and putty. And a
LOT
of patience :-/

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: SF Figures Next: Re: 15mm figures. - and a Question of Composition