Prev: Re: Orbital Insertion Next: RE: What about the UN? - Longish

RE: SG2 Vehicle Questions

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 12:14:31 +1000
Subject: RE: SG2 Vehicle Questions

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Kett [mailto:gkett@adan.kingston.net]

>both get free and play it out. You mention that vehicles on a board
would be
>at close range all the time, then how do Infantry in the future fight?
Do
>they all agree to leave the vehicles behind? Do they ever get into
effective
>infantry weapon range, if vehicles are always destroying the their
APC's?
>Players make the senario's up and it is their carelessness that will
>unbalance the game.

Actually I said that after the first turn Size 4 vehicles are most
probably going to be at close range.

I guess this sort of discussion can go on for ages with all parties
hammering their own points.

Have a look at SGII Page 31 where Jon T discusses the use of vehicles in
the game. This is the way we have used them in virtually all our games.
A mounted platoon on one side and leg infantry or perhaps some light
recon or transport vehicles on the other. Our scenarios work really
well.

The only time it has fallen down is when we did have a large number of
tanks on each side and as Jon T said these would really have been
engaging each other at 2 to 3 Km instead of the 400 to 700m on the
gaming table.

If you really wish to play effective vehicle on vehicle then perhaps
consider 15 or 10mm scale or put together 3 or 4 tables. That's what we
did in our open day and even then it was a Mechanised Inf Company versus
leg Infantry.

The comments about the 500m dash are possible; two combat rolls will
give you 480 m table scale. But if you've ever seen an APC doing a 500m
flat dash hit a tree stump in knee high grass you'll appreciate why it
doesn't happen all the time. Ask Paul Calvi (Tanker) if he has his chin
or forehead scar. Anyway, if you have a table with 48 inches of straight
LOS and clear of table terrain, then maybe you have set up a game that
would be more suitable for DS or Microarmour.

I can see the points you are trying to present but I personally think
that they are more relevant to either a RPG like Twilight 2000 or
Vehicle based games such as DS or Microarmour.

Cheers,

Owen G

Prev: Re: Orbital Insertion Next: RE: What about the UN? - Longish