Prev: Re: SG2 Vehicle Questions Next: Re: New Fighter Types

Re: SG2 Vehicle Questions

From: Binhan Lin <Binhan.Lin@U...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:32:34 -0600
Subject: Re: SG2 Vehicle Questions

> > Can I ask anyone why this vehical has two turrets yet only one
gunner? If
> >each had to be seperatly manned, it seems strange that an extra
gunner would
> >not exist. If there is only one gunner, perhaps he sits at a control
board
> >that allows him (through camera optics) to operate both turrets.
However, I
> >can't see the logic of having the gunner move about the vehical to
operate
> >two seperate turrets. I can't think of a moderen example off hand.
Are there
> >any?
> >
> >					   Gary

The closest I can think of is the B-29 Superfortress.  There are several
gunners
inremote positions with the ability to fire several sets of guns.  If
the turrets
are remotely controlled, then it might be possible for any crew member
to take
over a turret and
fire it, i.e. the commander could take one and the gunner the other - or
if the
vehicle
is stationary, perhaps the driver.

I believe this design to be along the same lines as vehicles with
driving
positions
both front and rear, with only a single driver - you use whoever happens
to be
available to take the necessary position.

--Binhan

Prev: Re: SG2 Vehicle Questions Next: Re: New Fighter Types