Prev: EFSB playing time. Next: RE: SG2 Vehicle Questions

Re: Drifting to DSII (was Re: New Fighter Types (drifting OT....))

From: Brad Holden <holden@t...>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 19:18:17 -0500
Subject: Re: Drifting to DSII (was Re: New Fighter Types (drifting OT....))

   Actually...yes.  But I was thinking that the THOR system (a real
project,
   never developed, AFAIK...) was more along the lines of a crowbar, or
   something.  Fired from OWP (Orbital Weapons Platforms).  We never
made the
   good stuff (Orion, Thor, etc.).

Well, Orion and Thor kinda expensive (though from a military/power
projection standpoint Thor would be an awesome replacement for Nukes.)

A prototype for Orion was built using high-explosives, see John McPhee's
The Curve of Binding Energy for details.

7.2e15 Joules of energy is a bit steep for a battlefield weapon, thats
more a city destroyer.	Maybe the original poster got the units wrong?
The Thor I read about was more like 1m long an 0.5 cm in diameter,
something
small enough to survive reentry and not leave an enormous crater.  It
has
the added bonus of not killing the poor slob ordering the fire
mission....

cheers
brad

Prev: EFSB playing time. Next: RE: SG2 Vehicle Questions