Prev: Re: Drifting to DSII (was Re: New Fighter Types (drifting OT....)) Next: Re: Movement types (was:RE: Savasku Questions)

Re: Conformal Movement

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 16:53:14 -0700
Subject: Re: Conformal Movement

Jared E Noble wrote:

> realjtl@sj.bigger.net on 07/17/98 03:06:35 PM
>
> Please respond to FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
>
> To:	FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> cc:	 (bcc: Jared E Noble/AAI/ARCO)
> Subject:  Re: Conformal Movement
>
> >Jared E Noble wrote:
...Many snips, various places...JTL
> >> Anyway - the presence of a FleetCon allows the ship to link with
other

>    "The squadron must maintain a tight cohesion - maybe 3-4 MU"
> If you have someone at 10", and others at 33", how many do you have in
> between (can you say "long line waiting to get cut in half?") XXX
The vision I had was: A long line of scouts with the Superships
at the end of the line.   It really depends upon the defination of
'cohesion'.  If it is linear then my statement is correct, and the
concept is open to abuse with the line of scouts.   If the cohesion
is defined a circular with the 'Flag in the middle'  the best that
can be done is one range band. (assuming beams here).	If you allow
the 'flag' to stack on top of another 'flag' then my statement is
again true, but much more expensive to impliment due to the ship/
section/squadrom/fleet costs required to carry it off.	 JTL  XXX

> >	What is the mass of the new FCS?
> As stated in the post, I really don't know for FB designs - With FTII
it
> was to be the same mass as standard firecon - All the control systems
would
> be (FireCon, FleetCon, and FlightCon).  The new superlight (mass 1)
firecon
> in the FB kind of messes this up, as that seems to light for what I
> envision - Mass 3-4 seems more appropriate here.

XXX Suggestion: Leave the mass of the 'Fleetcon' reasonably low, but
devise a method of using the much neglected advanced sensors as part
of the package.   JTL	XXX
> >	Can this new FCS be exchanged for an old without penelty?
> >	What is the point cost?
XXX   This is sort of handeled w/ the above statement.	 JTL XXX

  By putting in writing the ideas I have, and getting the
> stuffing beat out of them by people who have much more experience in
FT
> than I have, I hope to get them strengthened to the point that I can
> convince a friend to try them out in one of the gaming sessions we
have
> (which seems to happen at most! once a month. - real slow going on the
> playtest cycle).  In probably 5 minutes you pointed out major concerns
and
> holes either in the system or my explanation of it (in my opinion
there was
> some of both).

XXX I hope these comments/suggestions will make some amends and if
properly implemented could make things more exciting.	JTL   XXX

> Not taken as such.  Thanks for Your input.
>
> Jared Noble

bye for now,
John L.