Prev: RE: New Fighter Types Next: RE: Some FT questions

RE: Fiddling with units

From: Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@m...>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 22:22:11 -0500
Subject: RE: Fiddling with units

The bit about Harpoon is true, but it misses a few things.  First, naval

combat consists of 3 VERY different travel media: Air, Surface and
Subsurface.  The difference in speeds and movement styles is radical
(AIR:
500 knts+, sharp turns; Surface:30 knts, medium turns; Sub: 10 knts,
slow
turns).  The speed of missiles in respect to target is also phenomenal
(1000+ knts v. 30 knts).  Space units all work by the same principles,
and
tend to have similar movement styles.  Space combat in FT probably
consists
of a lot of firing through a 15 min turn, to acheive just a few hits -
ships are small & manuverable, space is big and empty.	Fighters
probably
launch from the carrier form up, and then receive orders from flight
control.  I can see getting a few groups out and ready to go taking a
while.

Noah