Prev: RE: Steam Powered Starships? Next: RE: New Fighter Types

RE: So How Big is a Starship?

From: Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@m...>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 22:04:59 -0500
Subject: RE: So How Big is a Starship?

I always thought that MASS is just that - mass.  200 tonnes (metric
tons)
per unit, by the FB background.  Volume will be related, but not too
closely.  Given of course that we estimate ship minis by volume, not
mass,
but we still assume a pretty much constant volume - mass ratio.
Traveller
used tonnes of liquid H as a volume rating because that was the main
fuel
for manuver and FTL drives, and 10-60% of a ships' volume was taken up
by
fuel.  Far more important than in FT, AFAIK.  And according to Fire,
Fusion
& Steel (TNE), most ships came out massing about what they would if they

displaced H20, not liquid H.  Your engineers on a FT ship are not going
be concerned with dispacement at all unless you have to fit one thing
into
another - it's all about mass; and boosting it.

Noah

Prev: RE: Steam Powered Starships? Next: RE: New Fighter Types