Prev: Re: What are these? Next: Dirtside II FAQ is working!

Re: Conformal Movement

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 17:06:35 -0700
Subject: Re: Conformal Movement

Jared E Noble wrote:

> This is kind of the idea I had in mind when I thought about a
FleetControl
> (or Flag) system (in combination with FireCon and Flight Control - but
no,
> I'm not trying to reopen that discussion.)
>
> Anyway - the presence of a FleetCon allows the ship to link with other
> ships (thinking 2 per flagcon?) in a more tightly controlled squadron
-
> sharing targeting and defensive nets.  The squadron must maintain a
tight
> cohesion - maybe 3-4 MU, which could be done with the conformal
movement as
> you said.  Benefits are that ships in the squadron can attack a target
at
> the range of the closest squadron member - (so those leading escorts

...Big Snip...JTL

     Let me see if I have this right:
My scout ship that I moved to 10 inches of my opponent fires
as if it had the weapons of my	two battle dreadnoughts that are
at 33 inches range.   MY 'A' batteries get a three dice attack,
the pulse torpedos fire at a ten inch range, ect.
     I can see how a certain segment of the gaming world could
get into this.
     What are the drawbacks?   What about play balance?   What is
the mass of the new FCS?   Can this new FCS be exchanged for an
old without penelty?   What is the point cost?	 Why am I asking
these questions, This concept is really gross!!

     I think this needs a play test against a normal fleet prior
to a general suggestion being issued.

     If this was a call for realistic comment then I am overreacting
and I am sorry for that. (I've had a hard week, but then most weeks
are hard.)

     The squadron movement is something that I/we use all the time.
It allows the control of a larger number of ships per player and
saves quite a bit of time during movement.

Morale: In a 'one of' game the morale factor means that the game
really hinges on the roll of a single die.   This is now really a
satisfactory situation.   What happens if both players go over
the morale check point at the end of the turn, both roll a
morale failure, do both players lose the game?
     Morale in a campaign is provided by the knowledge that
'there will be a tomorrow' and therefor the roll of a die to
determine loss of the battle is not valid.   I am faced
with a situation in the Campaign98 for tomorrow:
I have one cruiser and two frigites vs two cruisers, 1 destroyer,
one scout, and a merchant.   If only the ship strengths are
considered I would be at a morale disadvantage and would surrender
or run.   However, these ships are protecting two colony worlds(
my enemy has demanded that I leave the system), that I do not want
to surrender.  What do you think is going to happen?

Not intended as excessively critical.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: What are these? Next: Dirtside II FAQ is working!