Prev: Re: SV: Stardate:3000 figs.. Next: Re: Carrier design in FT

Need Physics Help!

From: Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@m...>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 17:50:22 -0500
Subject: Need Physics Help!

OK, in the course of trying to get my (pseudo) realistic FT rules put to

gether, I have run into an obstacle:  I need equations!  Many SF games
have
some, but not all, and I'm not sure that they are right.  I've got an OK

physics text, but it's more concerned with cars and inclined planes -
I'm
still hashing thru to find what I need, but I'll appeal for help here.

I have, variously, the numbers for acceleration, distance and time.  I
may
need to solve for any one of these.
I need equations for:
Rest-to-rest with constant accel/decel.
Rest-to-point with constant accel (& vice versa: point-to-rest with
constant decel).
And both of those again, with only a certain amount of accel/decel
(limited
thrust manuvers)

The first two are most important.  If these could be in MKS, that would
be
appreciated.  CGS I just use to figure gravitational attraction of
planets.
 So c'mon, you physicists & engineers, please help me make
interplanetary
travel difficult! Thanks in advance,

Noah
BTW - reply privately to nvdoyle@midlink.com - if anybody is interested,

I'll pass them along.

Prev: Re: SV: Stardate:3000 figs.. Next: Re: Carrier design in FT