Prev: PSB not neccessary Next: Searching the archives dude

Grenade Launchers. Recoilless Rifles, SAWs, and other stuff

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 10:37:50 -0500
Subject: Grenade Launchers. Recoilless Rifles, SAWs, and other stuff

A quick question to the list:

I know it says in SG2 that underbarrel GLs are resolved as part of
infantry fire combat. But what about firing at bunkers and buildings
instead without the rest of the squad - or at vehicles? I'm thinking
an M203 (fired by one guy) can make a heck of a mess of a jeep or a
thin walled bunker without having a squad to fire with him. Any
suggestions on how to handle this?

Next question: Recoilless Rifles like the Carl Gustav. What do you
think the best way to represent these items is? They should have
better range and damage than an IAVR but really aren't a GMS and need
a crew of 2 (for the most part). Suggestions? I have a bunch of old
true 25mm Battletech forces with 2 man RR teams that I'd like to use.

As for the SAW question about two linked SAWs, I think I have to
disagree with Owen although I liked his logic (remote controlled,
therefore fired by firecon rather than FP). Mike Elliot answered a
similar question way back and it was a clear answer that indicated
two D10s for FP. I have it in an SG2 Q and A document. I can post
the actual document tomorrow if anyone is interested (or at least
a link to it).

A friend pointed out to me that an MG that usually fires from a bipod
tends to become much more dangerous when vehicle or tripod mounted,
partially because of stability, partially because of better optics
used on such mounts, and partially because of more sustained fire
(more ammo usually). If this is so, how do we justify taking a weapon
that rolls D10s or D12s for FP and reducing it to D6s or D8s for
Firecontrol instead? That makes a vehicle mounted MG less dangerous
as a rule than a normal one. I'm much more likely to score casualties
with Quality + d10 or d12 than Quality + d6 or d8. Comments?
Suggestions that I'm off my tree or failed to understand something?

Has the poster of the bunker rules posted them to one of the SG2
pages? If not, could he or she please do so. It was a good piece and
(along with HMG/APSW rules) makes a good addition to the game.

And could whoever is running the archive of list stuff please mail me
privately to let me know how to get to it (what the address is) and
how to search it for stuff? I'd like to locate some of our last
quarter discussions on snipers and platoon sergeants.

Tom.

Prev: PSB not neccessary Next: Searching the archives dude