Prev: Re: LaGrange Points, others Next: Re: Strategic Movement (was Re: LaGrange...)

Strategic Movement (was Re: LaGrange...)

From: Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@m...>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 22:34:29 -0500
Subject: Strategic Movement (was Re: LaGrange...)

John L., I like your strategic system as a means of getting around in
the
abstract- It'll probably show up in a micro-campaign in the future.  For
my
more detailed games, I'll be using the jump at EOS system - probably
around
40 AU for a Sol-type star (about the orbit of Pluto).  BTW, my calcs
were
wrong (again!  Sorry, I'm a total amateur at this physics/mathematics
bit).
 To travel 20 AU, rest-to-rest, in a thrust 2 ship takes 25 days and
change, NOT 253.  Oops.  But that's good, so pirates can sit outsystem
and
not just watch commerce whizz by at 3000 MU/turn+.  Military ships &
couriers will probably do the accel-jump-decel bit, but speed is far
more
important than risk to them, at least in wartime.  So, by standard
freighter, it's about 2-3 months between systems.  This gives some long
travel times, but I'm thinking of adding some kind of FTL commo, but
I'll
probably stick with 'fence-straddler' craft.  Take a small ship with a
big
commo set, add jump engines and no manuver engines.  It collects data on

one side of the jump point, jumps, and then dumps its data on the other
side, while receiving that sides info.	They just blip back and forth,
squirting info every 6 or so hours.  Most likely unmanned.  Simple job,
and
humans couldn't stand up to that kind of torture.
	There would probably be, in the more populous/traveled systems,
facilities
and communities grown up around main jump points.  It would be nice,
when
your bulk freighter is facing a 2-month insystem trip, to be able to get

fresh supplies and a bit of liberty.  Just some thoughts,
Noah

Prev: Re: LaGrange Points, others Next: Re: Strategic Movement (was Re: LaGrange...)