Prev: Re: Gravity, Tech & others (was Re: Orbits, etc) Next: Re: Gravity, Tech & others (was Re: Orbits, etc)

RE: SG II rules clarification re: GMS and SAW's mind bender

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 08:55:28 +1000
Subject: RE: SG II rules clarification re: GMS and SAW's mind bender

Hi Trevor,

-----Original Message-----
From: Trevor Dow [mailto:adspirit@pipeline.com.au]

>Question 1. Can a GMS/P or L be fired at infantry and if so how is
>combat resolved?

>Assuming yes, does the target squad get more than a D4. The GMS only
has
>one range band, but does infantry get any modifiers for soft/hard
cover?

>Personally I would have thought you wouldn't fire a GMS at infantry
>because the sergant might get pretty upset if I took a pot shot at a
>bunch of dumb grunts with a very expensive anti-armour missle.

Have a look back at the rules and it does state that only ECM is
counted. No modifiers for cover.

The rules also do cover the bit about engaging infantry. It tells you
that when used against Dispersed targests that a d8 is used to represent
the shrapnel effect s well. Anyway it IS the squad leader or Platoon
Commander directing that the fire takes place. Mission profiles normally
determine the weapons carried. If you want to try to represent a more
real world approach then if there are no enemy vehicles expected to be
encountered then the GMS would likely be substituted by a PPG or AGL.
BUT if you are taking fire and the only weapon that can do the job is
the GMS then it gets used!

Situation, an enemy squad is in Hard Cover, range is 30 inches (4 range
bands) target counts as 6 range bands for small arms. This enemy is
causing grief to one of your other squads close by and the firefight has
bogged down; timing is critical and you are taking casualties. Use the
GMS against infantry? DEFEINITELY!

Personally though I run my NAC squads with the PPG unless I am expecting
vehicles.

>Question 2. If an MICV has a remote turret containing two rotary SAW's

> with enhanced firecontrol. What die does it roll when attacking
>infantry? I can only find heavy weapons VS infantry in the rules and
the
>rotary SAW's are support weapons, but because they are vehicle mounted
>are they now classed as heavy weapons??????

>Which below is the correct answer?
>
>a) Quality + 1D10 Firepower die, bad luck about the extra SAW
>b) Quality + 2 D10's (2 Firepower die), one for each SAW
>c) Quality + 1D8 (Fire control die) bad, luck again for the extra SAW
>d) Quality + 2 D8's (2 Fire control die), one for each SAW

As far as I understand it, once you turret a weapon you would need to
pay some sort of Firecon. Your question Trevor is obviously referring to
your ALIENS APCs; turreted twin SAW and also the turretted twin PPG. You
don't actually have the FREE SAW as that represents an external/pintle
mounted MG.

So if all your weapons are remotely controlled how else but by using a
Firecontrol could they be operated? i'd say option d) applies.

Cheers,

Owen

Prev: Re: Gravity, Tech & others (was Re: Orbits, etc) Next: Re: Gravity, Tech & others (was Re: Orbits, etc)