Prev: RE: Star Wars Figures Next: RE: NAC units, was Odd FT Idea

Lazy Man's Cammo

From: "Tom Sullivan" <starkfist@h...>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 07:03:13 PDT
Subject: Lazy Man's Cammo

	First of all, you should all understand that I am a
fundamentally lazy
man.  Secondly, you should know that I just purchased a new printer: a
Canon model that prints with an oil-based ink.	These two factors have
led to my recent wonderings about the viability of creating cammo
patterns using decals.	It is possible to obtain blank decal paper, and
it is equally possible to use a printer to make decals with it—several
of my ships have names that we produced in this fashion, using the laser

printer at my former place of employment.    However, now I am thinking
big.  I have never been able to produce good cammo patterns on my 25mm
vehicles, and doing it on a substantial force of 6mm tanks can take a
good long while.  Thus, the following ideas:

	ClarisWorks has a drawing program which allows the user to
create "3D"
grayscale shapes—circles and polygons that appear convex or concave,
depending on the setting.  Using these shapes on a black or gray
background could produce a sort of high-tech looking urban cammo
pattern.

	You can do large, irregular polygons using any sort of drawing
program.
Personally, I can’t paint a straight line, so this will make my life
tremendously easier when doing some of the urban cammo patterns that I
have been working on.  You can also make dazzle patterns for Full Thrust

ships this way, and I have been toying with the idea of doing just this
for the NAC ships that will be my next purchase.

	I am also thinking of just making lines of various lengths, and
using
them to make a network across a 25mm vehicle or two.  There’s also the
"spraypaint" effect in most paint programs—this will allow the creation
of impromptu appearing cammo patterns, and can also be used to create a
spray of dots across a conventional cammo patten.

	Just some thoughts, of dubious worth.  What do you guys think?
Workable, or am I merely dreaming?

Tom Sullivan
"American Non-Sequiter Society: We don’t make sense, but puppies sure
are cute!"

Prev: RE: Star Wars Figures Next: RE: NAC units, was Odd FT Idea