Prev: Re: GMS on vehicles Next: Maps of teh FT universe

Re: OT: Light Armor for Airborne (was Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems)

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 13:06:38 -0700
Subject: Re: OT: Light Armor for Airborne (was Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems)

PsyWraith@aol.com wrote:

> 2)  The 18th Airborne Corps' AH-64 Apaches and their ability to
> self-deploy
> overseas. Problem is you need to replace all the ordinance with fuel
> tanks and
> still need a secure airhead to bring in their stores and support
> system not to
> mention the fact the aircraft will need serious downtime for crew rest
> and
> maintenance from such a flight.

82d has Apaches already and much exoerience with rapid deployment of
these and keeping them up in the field. SHould fill the gap for now.

> A lot of it sounds like so much fast-talk to cover up a glaring gap in
> the
> 82nd's capabilities.	There's something to be said about the
> psychological
> impact on having armor backing you up as well.  Recent talk has gone
> back to

I gotta be honest with you....Our Sheridan friends not witstanding, The
82d has gotten along fine without much internal; armor until now. The
most sheridans you usually saw were a platoon attached to a battalion,
not really enough to go around anywhere. (Usually I didn't even see that
many, but then again I was a scout out ahead of the mess)  And we always
had so many damn TOWs that you were always tripping over them, or
swearing them up and down because they get to ride around with all that
extra pogey bait!

It's not like the paras go around cringing and saying "shit where's our
armor!" They've gotten pretty good at working with other (outside)
units, and have always performed well at NTC and JRTC despite inherent
armor deficiencies. It's just something that s taken into consideration
when planning missions.  Next to the 101st, the 82ds most adept at
making the most of it's flying artillery (Apaches) and other helo
support.

Keep in mind that in gaming terms future para units should continue to
fill the roles that they always do, that is spearheading invasions by
either air/space (interface lander comes to low/med alt and drops them)
or air assault landing. OR counter isurgency/ light infantry in dense
terrain/operations in built up area type fights. Both mean you have
already established space and air superiority and that once the airhead
is secure heavy forces will arrive.

For situations where you don't have air/space superiority then you
should go to to SOF units.

That being said, is there a light armored vehicle in the GZG range that
fits the bill of either air drop or light drop ship landing?

Los

Prev: Re: GMS on vehicles Next: Maps of teh FT universe