Prev: Re: (Stupid BMP tricks) Next: Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems

Re: (Stupid BMP tricks)

From: <Pmj6@a...>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 19:53:03 EDT
Subject: Re: (Stupid BMP tricks)

<<  Actually, I don't like encouraging infantrymen to play tanker in the
 > first place.  Prefer to split the vehicles into AT and APC versions.
 > Why?  Coz if you engage with the TOW at 3.5km like God and the
 > designers intended the TOW to be used (Why?	Max effective range on a
 > T-72's main gun is 3km.  Hence you did your anti-tank ditch 3.4km
from
 > a significant terrain feature, put your ITVs behind it, and you've
got
 > a significant chunk of the NATO defense plan for West Germany), your
 > infantry has to walk 3.5km under fire to get to where they are
useful.
 > If you get close, you're wasting a lot of range, and then someone
tries
 > to get into a slogging match at point-blank range.  That works
against
 > Iraqis with ageing T-55s and Iraqi-manufactured ammo that can't
 > penetrate tinfoil.  It won't against an army that could find it's
arse
 > with both hands and a flashlight >>

I agree.  Operating as a tank destroyer vehicle requires fundamentally
different tactics than close infantry support.	It'd be better to give
each
mech bn a company of Hellfire-armed Bradley TDs to kill tanks, leave
them in
overwatch, and let the Brads do infantry support work.	A 3.5km missile
is
just not good enough to go toe to toe with modern MBTs (or even Soviet
ones
with missiles which can reach out to 5km).

Mike Jasinski

Prev: Re: (Stupid BMP tricks) Next: Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems