Prev: Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems Next: Re: TNE Aslan Minis

Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 23:19:42 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems

You wrote:

> tank was robust, reliable, >and air droppable. (though I've seen
three burn in over the years. Was it the kind of tank you

That would be like the truck a buddy of mine was telling me about that
ended up with an average height of 18" after it's chutes failed to
open?  Ewwwww. . .

>would want to go toe to toe with an M1A1 or a T80? No. Could it
provide reliable support to an >airborne battalion? You bet.

But God help the crewman that thought it was a tank and tried to take a
hit from, say, an RPG or something.  As a tank it was a POS.  When used
as such in Vietnam it ended up with really bad reputation.  As a fire
support vehicle for airborne units that aren't supposed to drop into
Panzer Corps assembly areas (Field Marshal Montgomery's opinion to the
contrary!), it's better than anything else that was available.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems Next: Re: TNE Aslan Minis