Prev: Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems Next: Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems

Re: Odd FT Idea

From: "Richard Slattery" <richard@m...>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 04:33:17 +0000
Subject: Re: Odd FT Idea

On  4 Jul 98 at 1:33, The cat that walks by himself wrote:

> Richard Slattery wrote:
>
> > Hmm, well, the vastly overwhelming 'religion' in the UK is actualy
> > atheist/agnostic, but *christened* catholic or protestant. *Most*
> > Brits don't go to church regularly, and hold no strong religious
> > beliefs. Church attendance is poor, and falling. Religion is nowhere
> > near as important an issue here as in other parts of the world, and
> > is of little or no political influence. (NI apart, which most brits
> > don't see as a religious issue anyway, no flames please)
>
> Despite what you might think most people in NI are no more religious
> than in the rest of the UK. It`s just that the nutters over here use
> religion as a reason to cause trouble where elsewhere they would use
> skin colour or football. Most of us aren`t interested in all this
> orange and green malarkey and avoid it wherever possible. Me, I`m
> going to Tewkesbury this twelfth weekend for a Wars of the Roses
> battle. (I think it`s best- avoid violence here by taking part in it
> in England)

Actually, I *was* saying that the conflict wasn't really religious
per se, and don't really assume it's piety that keeps the violence
going, or that people in NI are particularly more pious than the
average brit (perhaps a little bit in my experience).

Most people (erm, americans) don't seem to understand that the bulk
of people in NI just wish the idiots with guns and bombs would stop
and let them live their lives.

And as I drift massively off topic, please, any responses to my email
address please.
Richard Slattery	     richard@mgkc.demon.co.uk
Seeing a murder on television can help work off one's antagonisms. And
if you haven't any antagonisms, the commercials will
give you some.
     Alfred Hitchcock

Prev: Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems Next: Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems