Prev: Re: High Velocity Missiles (HVM) Next: Bats Away! (really OT)

Re: sniper weapons for SGII

From: "Tom Sullivan" <starkfist@h...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 17:14:26 PDT
Subject: Re: sniper weapons for SGII

>Tom Sullivan mentioned, whilst defending use of dog-mines in gaming
with
>adults:
>
>> And as new weapon debacles go, it is
>>second in my estimation only to the American Bat Bomb Fiasco, which
>>(although it involved the deaths of an untold number of bats) I also
>>find quite funny.
>
>The what? Bats w/ grenades strapped on? For what purpose? (Terror
weapons,
>probably - now a bat won't just tangle itself in your hair, it'll blow
>your head off) (and yes, I do know that the bats-in-hair thing is pure
>myth...)
>
>Please expand on the 'Bat Bomb Fiasco'...
>
>Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)

	The Bat Bombs are one of those ideas that kinda, sorta, ALMOST
makes
sense, until you look at it closely.  The concept was this:
     1) Take a bunch of bats.
     2) Strap timed incendiary bombs to them.
     3) One fine night, drop the bats out of a bomber over a large urban

area (Tokyo, in this case).
     4) The bats will fly around the city until dawn, at which point
they will seek cover in the nooks and crannies of the local buildings.
     5) A few hours after dawn, the timers set all of the bombs off.
     6) Boom.
     7) The city is now in flames.

	Nice though this idea may be, the execution left much to be
desired.
In the first and only test run of this “system”, the army collected a
whole bunch of bats and froze them--putting them into a state of torpor
so that the bombs could be easily and quickly attached.  The bats were
then loaded aboard a bomber, which flew over a test area that had been
built for the purpose.	Unfortunately, they didn’t give the bats enough
time to thaw out and wake up.  The results were, as they say, somewhat
less than pretty.  A few bats did manage to wake up before hitting the
ground, and one of these hid himself under a general’s car--this, and a
few lab buildings, were the only casualties of the test.  The experiment

was, strangely, never repeated....

     It should be understood--it’s been several years since I read this
tale, and I cannot remember the source, so it may well be apocryphal.
It’s such a good story that I cannot help but question its veracity,
frankly.  But if it isn’t true: it should be.

Tom Sullivan

“Bats awaaaaaay!!”

Prev: Re: High Velocity Missiles (HVM) Next: Bats Away! (really OT)