Prev: Table Size (was Room to Game) Next: Re: sniper weapons for SGII

Re: Orbits Defined

From: Jeremey Claridge <jeremy.claridge@k...>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:26:01 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Orbits Defined

The un-educated view of this orbit bombardment question.

A planets defences will really only exist near areas of importance.
Cities, military bases etc.
No planet is going to have missile or defence batteries placed every
10 miles or so across the whole planets surface.

I belive warfare for planets would go along these lines.

Orbital defences are the first line of defence. If they are destroyed
then the attacking fleet can either land forces or simply throw rocks
at the planet. Now there will be nothing a planets defences could do
to shoot down incoming rocks. (without some fantastical future
weapon).
But if the invaders actually want the planet then they land forces.
The planetary defenders must then move quickly to repel the attackers
as soon as they land.

In my opinion missiles either from the planets surface would move far
to slowly to pose a threat to orbiting ships.

In my own background after orbital defences are destroyed the planet
protects itself by launching space capable fighters and streamlined
ships to continue the space combat.

Jeremey Claridge
jeremy.claridge@kcl.ac.uk

Prev: Table Size (was Room to Game) Next: Re: sniper weapons for SGII