Prev: Re: How to kill a GEV tank Next: Re: New ships (details)

Re: How to kill a GEV tank

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 23:29:57 +0300 (EET DST)
Subject: Re: How to kill a GEV tank

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, John Atkinson wrote:

> >There were several unsupported panzer attacks
> >without full infantry support IIRC.
>
> Note that Hammer's Slammers was written based on Drake's experiences
in
> Vietnam, specifically the invasion of Cambodia.  He was going through
> some rather poor-quality infantry--second-line and inexperienced PAVN
> troops.  And they do have 'combat car' (Read: ACAV, M-113s with
> multiple machine guns) support on most occasions.

Still, Hammer's supertanks DO have a problem with infantry with
buzzbombs
and satchel charges -- quite a few are killed this way in the stories.
Actually, I'd bet *more* are killed by PBIs than large AT weapons or
other tanks... (partly because I don't recall a single story where
Slammers face enemy armor of equal caliber with similar crew quality --
though the other merc company in The Warrior comes close).

What they DON'T have a problem with is bigger, longer range guided
missiles (GMS).

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: How to kill a GEV tank Next: Re: New ships (details)