Prev: RE: Robotech stuff (longish) Next: Re: OGRE Camo schemes...

RE: How to kill a <grav> tank :)

From: John Skelly <canjns@c...>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:52:50 -0400
Subject: RE: How to kill a <grav> tank :)

I have to agree with Jon on the point of infantry supporting tankers.
It is nice to imagine a lone grunt running up to a tank with a sachel
charge and taking out a tank but how often is this going to happen?  If
you're playing the tanker's side how the heck did you get your tank
sitting by its lonesome?  In combined arms infantry are there to take
out other infantry (and maybe a few engineers).

You have to remember that tanks have support (infantry, engineers and
arty) for a reason.  Each arm supports the other arms.	Tanks are good
but I don't know about american drills but in canadian drills if there
is a chance that infantry are to be encountered the commander orders his
infantry to dismount to check it out.  My point is the infantry are
there to take out opposing infantry.

It is nice to picture Sgt York running up to a tank and taking it out.
But that tank has machine guns, it has smoke dischargers (white
phosphorus), it can move and it probably has other tanks around it than
can support it.  The tank commander can even call down fire on his
position.

I know I could take out a tank with a sachel charge but then again I'm
not the average infanteer ;-)