Prev: RE: OGRE Camo schemes... Next: RE: Robotech stuff (longish)

Re: Orbits Defined

From: "Jonathan White" <jw4@b...>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 14:06:13 +0100
Subject: Re: Orbits Defined

On 25 Jun 98, at 8:51, Brian Bell wrote:
> > Orbital mechanics are.. Low orbit is anything above the atmosphere,
but
> > not a 'long' way away (kinda fuzzy). Geosynchronous would only be
used
> > by space stations/satellites that don't have any drives to speak of,
and
> > that want to stay above the same part of the planet. and it's
thousands
> > of miles up. FT ships have so much manuever power they can force
their
> > own orbits at whatever height they want
>  I was using the following definition:
>  The term high and low orbit come from the speed at which an object
> orbits the planet. It seems strange, but is true that to move faster
in
> relation to the ground (in orbit) that you decrease your orbital
velocity.
> This causes you to "fall" toward the earth and actually gain ground
speed
> (due to the smaller orbital path).
>  Geosynchronous orbit is where the unit (ship, station, etc.) is
> traveling at such a speed in orbit that it remains above the same spot
on
> the globe.
>  Low orbit is any orbit that is traveling slower (faster ground
>  speed/smaller
> orbital path) than geosynchronous orbit. This is falling toward or
> spiraling in toward the planet.
>  High orbit is any orbit that is traveling faster (slower
> ground speed/larger orbital path) than geosynchronous orbit. This is
> spiraling out from the planet. --
> Brian Bell
Ermm.. the way you explain that makes it sound like geostationary orbit
requires you to
be at a particular distance. In an /unpowered/ spacecraft that's true -
centri(petal?)
forces are strictly defined. A spacecraft capable of moving under it's
own power can
actually maintain geosynchronous orbit at any altitude, simply by using
it's drive system
to maintain the correct velocity.

Seeing as how FT is a space combat game, wouldn't a better definition be
that low orbit
is at a range suficiently small to engage ground targets (and be engaged
by them) and
high orbit is out of range? Presuming a planet could have enhanced range
SLM's that
means (what?) 48MU is low orbit. Unless someone wants to argue that
acquiring launch
velocity reduces the range of a salvo missile?

			TTFN
				Jon

Prev: RE: OGRE Camo schemes... Next: RE: Robotech stuff (longish)