Prev: Re: How to kill a <grav> tank :) Next: Re: FT3 rules and SMs

Re: Full Thrust 3 rules

From: "Jared E Noble" <JNOBLE2@m...>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 13:02:32 -0900
Subject: Re: Full Thrust 3 rules

>Phillip E. Pournelle wrote:
>>
>> At 01:50 PM 6/23/1998 -0500, Thomas Barclay	wrote:
>> >Of course, my sense of humanity is offended by the lack of morale in
>> >this situation. Something tells me when the big wave of SMLs
>> >appeared, many of your light ship captains would beat feet (or
>> >thrusters) to avoid certain death - if they didn't refuse this
>> >suicidal order in the firstplace. But then I just love morale rules!

<SNIP>

>Another house rule way that might be interesting; SMLs will attack
EVERY
>ship within the detonation radius.  Roll to see the number of missiles
>that actually find targets, and then 'allocate' the missiles to targets
>in the area, either randomly, equally, by size, or by however you feel
>like doing it.
>
>Random thoughts.
>J.

Hey - I LIKE this idea. While I haven't got the FB yet, I have followed
this discussion (and other SML discussions) with interest.  While it
does
not increase the maximum damage that a single ship could take from a
SML,
it does help make the swarm of useless target-only ships a little less
appealing to the ultra-silly types.  My personal take on this is that I
would prefer an allocation scheme - Roll to see how many successfully
acquired targets (normal FB number of hits), start with the largest
target
within range, then move down the line in terms of decreasing size,
round-robin fashion until all are allocated.  Any applicable defense
measures are then applied to the incoming attacks vs each ship in order.
Of course, there are those who want all fire directed against a single
target - that makes sense, but then I will set my SML to only target
ships
of a given size range.	(besides, I've always thought that scatter
missile
packs were a cool way attack squadrons or clouds of fighters.)

Prev: Re: How to kill a <grav> tank :) Next: Re: FT3 rules and SMs