Prev: Re: Fleet Book Ship design templates. Next: Interesting reading..

RE: Full Thrust 3 rules

From: Christopher Pratt <valen@g...>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 20:03:46 -0400
Subject: RE: Full Thrust 3 rules

> ----------
> From: 	Jonathan White[SMTP:jw4@bolton.ac.uk]
> Subject:	RE: Full Thrust 3 rules
>
	>On 23 Jun 98, at 11:33, Glover, Owen wrote:
	>> We both decided the same as John, a bucket load of small
scoutship
	>> 'missile sponges' to absorb the SMLs. But then we are
starting to
	>> min/max the fleets, No?
	>> Owen G
	>Ermm. could someone explain how this is supposed to work? I
don't see how having a
	>couple of little ships along with your 'fleet of the line' is
supposed to absorb SML damage?
	>Or have I missed something and there is some standard rule as
to the priority SML
	>barrages have to give to targets?

Well, it states pretty plainly in the rules that Owen Gthe SML missiles
have
to target the NEAREST enemy ship. Hence the shield like formation one
can form with your midge/scouts. They take all teh damage from the salvo
missiles leaving your cruisers/capitals healthy. There is a small chance
that the salvo missiles will be closer to the larger ships but not much
if you plot your moves carefully.

  wouldn't it be wiser though to screen your capitals with point defense
heavy frigate hulls    that would have a much better chance of surviving
the missile attack.  granted I haven't gotten a copy of the fleet book
yet, but you should still be able to stuff at least 4 PDafs in a frigate
hull, making it much more likely to be available to help defend you from
further attacks.
That reminds me of an idea I had for Honor Harrington, take a smaller
hull, destroyer or light cruiser, and strip out its offensive weapons
and stuff it full of ECM, counter measures, point defense, etc...etc...
Shove several of these ships in with your wall of battle...

later
Christopher Pratt
valen@gatecom.com

Prev: Re: Fleet Book Ship design templates. Next: Interesting reading..