Prev: RE: Full Thrust 3 rules Next: Re: SMLs

Re: Full Thrust 3 rules

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 08:44:25 -0700
Subject: Re: Full Thrust 3 rules

John Leary <realjtl@sj.bigger.net> wrote:

[snip]

>1) In a straight (from the Fleet Book (FB)) battle, the SMLs have the
>effect of being a 'limited use' nova cannon (up to 6D6 of unmodified
>damage).   IMHO, this seems to be a wee bit over the top!   After all,
>one isn't likely to miss to often considering the area covered by
>four SMLs in a square pattern spaced at 4 inches. (16 in. X 16 in.
>square).

I disagree. SMLs and SMRs have their own checks and balances, which I'm
not
sure you're taking into account. A class 3 battery has better range for
the
same mass and cost, and is reusable. A wiley admiral facing SMLs would
keep
the range open while taking pot shots, eventually forcing his enemy to
come
in on his terms. Like the old MT missile fleets, if they goof the first
shot, they're in big trouble. Take a look at some of the Empress Ariana
match-ups with missile dependent fleets to have this illustrated.

>2) The other side of the coin.   In a 'design your own' FB battle the
>SMLs have no value at all!   They are easly defeated by using cheap
>throw away scout level craft as a damage sponge!

This assumes that the SML user is willing to waste his shots at your
sponge
instead of waiting for the tastier targets behind them. I'd suck up a
couple of beam shots from a scout in exchange for the "head" of a
cruiser.
If you're going to escort every heavy ship with a scout, that's going to
be
pretty expensive.

>3) In a normal meeting enguagement, the SMLs will be able to get off
>two shots each on a closing force.

Once again, this assumes a standard closure, which I'd be loathe to do
when
faced with SMLs. As I see it, an admiral has two choices to limit his
exposure, and ideally can use a combination of both. First, keep the
range
open and snipe. When the bull has been pricked enough, he'll charge you
close the range. Return the favor by charging yourself, this will make
your
beams much more effective, and possibly limit him to only one good salvo
before the general furball.

If faced with fighters, which might hamper your defences, counter with
interceptors to keep your PDSs free for missile defence.

[snip]

>7) I am goin to miss the SSDs.   They were a great help in introducing
>newcomers to the game (visual appeal and ID value).  The line drawings
>are nice, as are the 'ship service history' sections.

There's nothing to prevent you from making your own "more visually
appealing" SSDs. I'm at work doing the NSL and FSE, which are my
favorites.
I also like the visual appeal. When I've got something worth posting,
I'll
let everyone know.

>8) I feel that 'all' ships will wind up at thrust 5 (or 6), and with
>this as a fact of life the need for small (escorts/cruisers) ships is
>gone.

Not at all. It's still cheaper and more cost effective to make lighter
ships faster. Slower ships can also pack MUCH more of a punch for the
cost.
Compare the two ends of the spectrum, the NSL Maximillian Class
Battlecruiser and the FSE Ypres Class Battlecruiser. Weighing in at
about
the same point cost, they have a big difference in toe to toe firepower.

Schoon

Prev: RE: Full Thrust 3 rules Next: Re: SMLs