Prev: Planetary Assault Rules (was: Re: Troop Capacity) Next: Re: Offtopic Computer game/ Operational art of war

Re: Troop Capacity

From: tom411@j... (Thomas E Hughes)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 19:10:10 -0500
Subject: Re: Troop Capacity

On Sun, 14 Jun 1998 17:10:22 -0500 (CDT) jatkins6@ix.netcom.com (John
Atkinson) writes:

>More Thrust 'strongly reccomends' ruling that to provide orbital fire
>support, a ship must be in low orbit, as opposed to geostationary.
>Sounds to me like they do need to sit in nice predictable orbits, at
>least when firing.  Which makes swatting them with SMLs fun and easy.

If and I do mean if someone were to put "ortillery" in geostationary
orbit it would be 22,400 miles above the planet ( class M planet) and
unless they were light speed weapons it would have a response time of
over ten minutes. Actually at about 10 miles per second on a direct
route
it would take over 37 minutes. At a low earth orbit (100 miles) about 10
seconds. Since neither of them would be traveling in a straight line you
could double or triple that.

By the way if the projectile were traveling significantly faster than
that you will begin to talk of rather exotic materials and workmanship -
at that point missiles are cheaper.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Tom Hughes

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Prev: Planetary Assault Rules (was: Re: Troop Capacity) Next: Re: Offtopic Computer game/ Operational art of war