Prev: Re: Planetary invasion ramblings (longish) Next: Re: Communication and Travel

Re: Troop Capacity

From: "Richard Slattery" <richard@m...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 17:40:11 +0000
Subject: Re: Troop Capacity

> John spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>
> > You wrote:
> >
> > >Which in turn means you have to find a way of taking the SML's (or
> > >whatever land based system) out. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Aerospace fighters.  Also ARM missles would be nice, but you'd have
> > write rules for 'em.

How do you send Aerospace fighters down to a planet thet you haven't
invaded yet to take out the SML launchers that are stopping you
invading in the first place?

Drop capsules? Why aren't they shot down by planetary defenses? Where
do the fighters go once they have expended their ammunition? Drop
supplies? Drop an airbase, drop defenses for it?

I suppose that of the fighters are successful you start the invasion
proper, but what can a little aerospace fighter carry that a
starship can't that goes through the many meters of armour that the
SML's are under, that itself can stave off starship mounted weapons.
(sorry for the sentence structure)

(Oh, I did see someone's comment on sensor systems being vulnerable,
and agree, but you can have multiple systems deployed as necessary,
expensive but effective)
Richard Slattery	     richard@mgkc.demon.co.uk
An economist is a man who states the obvious in terms of the
incomprehensible.
     Alfred A. Knopf

Prev: Re: Planetary invasion ramblings (longish) Next: Re: Communication and Travel