Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: Re: Planetary invasion ramblings (longish)

Re: Planetary invasion ramblings (longish)

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 03:21:18 +0200
Subject: Re: Planetary invasion ramblings (longish)

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Sure, there may be a few left behind and your point about SDBs
> > is a good one (though less so with the advent of the FB, I suspect)
>
> Why? I assume even with FB it is quite feasible to design a non-FTL
> capable ship which (by virtue of not needing the FTL drives) has more
> hull capacity (and maybe space freed up by fuel) to accomodate more
> armour, weapons and ECM.... and costs less.... therefore making
> a wonderful planetary defence option.

Wellll... yes and no. Under the FTFB design system the FTL drive uses
10%
of the ships total Mass, so an SDB has more space for other things.
However, it is cheaper than any weapons or electronics, so the SDB will
actually cost somewhat more than a similar FTL-capable ship :-/

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: Re: Planetary invasion ramblings (longish)