Prev: Planetary Infrastructure/Invasion/etc Next: Re: Troop Capacity

Re: Communication and Travel

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 22:03:21 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Communication and Travel

You wrote:

>either. A guy with a rifle (ten guys with rifles... 100 guys with
>rifles?) Aren't much threat to state of the art systems. (q.v. road
>to basrah)

Speaking as someone who has, in exercises, "killed" fighting vehicles
by placing a simulated satchel charge on them while they were parked in
defensive positions, I'd say "Bullshit".  You've never tried MOUT
personally, either, have you?  Remember, a war of occupation is not the
same as sitting in the desert dropping bombs on everything that moves.
You gotta sleep some time, and that's when nasty light infantry like me
are ruining your entire incarnation.  Or how about just having locals
stabbing your troops with low-tech knives as they stumble drunkenly out
of whorehouses (and don't tell me you'll prevent them from visiting
whorehouses--never been an army yet that managed that, 'cept in Desert
Storm, and that's coz the Saudis don't tolerate whorehouses, and at any
rate there aren't any in the desert.)  Or we could ask the Chechens
about whether or not light troops can stop tanks cold.	I think they'd
have a few choice comments.  Guerilla wars rarely win by themselves in
the long run, but they can cause a hell of a lot of damage in the
meantime.

>'feel). However, elite units have come a long way (and learned a lot
>of lessons) as well as advanced technolgy and sensor systems looking
>carefully down from space.

All the sensors in the world won't penetrate triple-canopy jungle, or
mangrove forests, or tell you if those peasants are hiding SMGs in the
basement.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Planetary Infrastructure/Invasion/etc Next: Re: Troop Capacity