Prev: Re: Nova Cannons Next: Re: GenCon?

Re: Communication and Travel

From: Jerry Han <jhan@i...>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 00:56:17 -0400
Subject: Re: Communication and Travel

Chris Klug wrote:

> Winch:

I think it's not problems, more than difficulties.

Since the rate of communication is 'relatively' slow, you end up
with the same problems that the old colonial emprires of the 17th,
18th, and early 19th centuries had, where the first warning that
war had been declared might be the enemy navy coming over the
horizon.  (Also take a look at the Battle of New Orleans; took
place AFTER the US and Great Britain had decided to end the War of
1812, but word didn't get back to the armed forces in time.)

It makes co-ordination extremely difficult as well.  Something as
strategically simple as a pincer attack from two opposing star
systems becomes horribly complex and dangerous to co-ordinate.
(What happens if at the last second, one of the pincers has to
abort?	You'll never know until you pop out of hyper and find
out that an enemy you were supposed to outnumber 2:1 is actually
fighting at parity with you.)

You have to tease it out, but David Weber makes mention of some
of these problems in 'A Short Victorious War' (Honor Harrington
Novel.)  Or take a look at the history of the British Empire.
I think those are the two most accessible examples (unless somebody
can think of a better sci-fi novel?)

Some babble,
J.

--
 *** Jerry Han - jhan@idigital.net - http://www.idigital.net/jhan ***
    "Will I lose my diginity?  Will someone care?

Prev: Re: Nova Cannons Next: Re: GenCon?