Prev: RE: SG actions rule clarification Next: Re: Communication and Travel

Re: Communication and Travel

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 15:26:15 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Communication and Travel

You wrote:

>A general slowness in interstellar travel might also justify the use
by >larger powers of mobile "amphibious" forces, perhaps with most of

>This could give rise to assorted FT scenarios such as recce to find a
>lurking phibron, recce in support of the phibron, skirmishes to stop
>couriers or drop raids etc.

Minor peeve--note that it's only possible to actually conquer a small,
small colony from space.  Once you get a couple million colonists with
a homegrown industry, it becomes impossible to physically land enough
troops to do more than raid.  Example:	Israel, with 6 million
inhabitants, can field 13 armored divisions, and one parachute division
(or is it 12 and 1?  I don't recall).  Taking down a force that big
would require either massive and indiscriminate use of orbital support
(trashing what you're supposed to be trying to conquer!) or one even
larger--which would be prohibitive to transport.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: RE: SG actions rule clarification Next: Re: Communication and Travel