Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: Re: Valiant Miniatures

Re: Communication and Travel

From: Niall Gilsenan <ngilsena@i...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 12:19:26 +0100
Subject: Re: Communication and Travel

Well I have always felt that communication was a function of the small
scout and courier vessels.  Other than these functions they don't have
much
relevance to game system.  If you remember one of the short fiction
parts
of FT there was a battle where a couple of destroyers (I think) went out
meet a large enemy force.  They sent a message to Confed Navfltcom via a
lancer (presumably a courier).

Of course this doesn't preclude other forms of communication.  For
instance
in Starfire there are message drones that can be launched from any ship.
These are somewhat faster than the ships in that universe but still may
take months to arrive at their destination if it is any distance away.
In
the Renegade legion universe communication is via ships but important
systems may have VLCA's (Very large communication arrays) which allow
instantaneous transmission of messages.   Co-ordinating fleet movements
is
usally done through a VLCA.   Of course this is in a universe where you
can
travel up to 10,000 LY per month.  So even though Terra is a huge
distance
away it can still maintain contact with its sector capitals and such.
This may have some application to the FT universe.  Major colony worlds
may
have some sort of direct link with each other.	Overall though I think I
prefer the courier soloution to this question.	It would explain the
need
for small ships.  It also fits in with frontier feel of  FT.
Niall Gilsenan,
DIT Cathal Brugha St,
Dublin 1,
Ireland.

Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: Re: Valiant Miniatures