Prev: Re: Fleet Book Errata ? Next: Re: Carriers

Re: Crew for Space Stations

From: Samuel Reynolds <reynol@p...>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 10:35:48 -0600
Subject: Re: Crew for Space Stations

>Original question was formulated because I am slowly composing a wee
>bit o' fanfic set in my Rhomanoi universe about a sort of 'Trojan
>Horse' maneuver--ship crippled with EMP pulse missles, and surviving
>crew interrogated enough to locate the refueling base used for probes
>of the sector.  Captured ship is then used to insert a special forces
>unit--but here I was stuck:  Given station crew, how large unit needed?

> Seems that probably 2 or three troops might be used (Since RL
>Byzantines didn't have SOF, I'm borrowing SAS organization.  ;) Which
>means 32-48 men).  In power armor.
>
>John M. Atkinson

If it's a "heartland" system, and a small station, there may be
no marine contingent. If it's a fringe system, even a small
station might have a significant marine presence. Of course,
I'm not familiar with your background, so I could be totally
off-base (no pun intended).

You might want to read "Once A Hero", by Elizabeth Moon.
A raider (pirate) group tries to take the DSR
(deep-space repair vessel) Koskiusko. It's more
a mobile repair station than a ship, and the
raiders' plan, while not a Trojan horse, is similar.
(Or maybe you should finish your fanfic, then read
the book.)

- Sam

Samuel Reynolds
http://www.primenet.com/~reynol
reynol@primenet.com
samuel_reynolds@csgsystems.com

Prev: Re: Fleet Book Errata ? Next: Re: Carriers