Prev: RE: Vector movement Next: RE: Vector movement

(Fwd) Re: Vector movement

From: "Jonathan White" <jw4@b...>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 09:21:40 +0100
Subject: (Fwd) Re: Vector movement

On 2 Jun 98, at 0:45, John Atkinson wrote:

> Just ran a FT demo at local game shop, and was rather delighted with
> response--even pulled some people away from the Magic games that had
> overrun the place.  But am concerned--major 'selling' point for the
game
> is simplicity.  As I put it, if I can teach it to an 8-year old at 2
AM
> on 2nd day of a Con, I can teach it to anyone.  But movement system
took
> a wee bit to explain to a few people.  How much additional
complication
> does the vector system add to the game?  I know I try to think about
> moving a ship in three directions at one time and my eyes glaze over.
> How much does the vector system detract from the incredibly simple
> nature of the FT rules? John
By my rough testing and playing, The vector movement system takes twice
as
long to play as the standard one does and probably takes twice as many
'turns' until you really get the hang of it. Once you do it's great fun,
but I *don't* think it's a very good system for Cons, nor do I think
it's
a great way to introduce people to the game. Cinematic much more allows
people to do exactly what they want to do, rather than being limited by
the laws of physics :). The only actual problem I've had with vector
once
it's understood is that ship direction (in terms of 'rounding to a clock
facing') can cause a bit of contention, but it is a more complex system
that cinematic and there's no way of getting round that.

I *like* the vector system - it's about the best one I've seen. But I
can't see it appealing to the large majority of gamers brought up on
Star
Wars style space battles, rather than Apollo  11 missions. Plus it's
slower pace is also bad for cons and demo games in that it puts people
off
if nothing seems to be happening.

   TTFN
    Jon

Prev: RE: Vector movement Next: RE: Vector movement